Types of Returns and Due Dates :
Latest updates on Due date changes as announced on 10th Sept 2018:
- Extension of Due date for GSTR-3B only for newly migrated taxpayers for months July 2017 to Nov 2018 till 31st December 2018. The due dates remain unchanged for rest of the taxpayers.
- Extension of Due date for GSTR-1 in case of taxpayers with turnover above Rs 1.5 crores in previous FY or Current FY
- a. Regular taxpayers : for months from July 2017 to September 2018 extended till the 31st October 2018.
- b. Newly migrated taxpayers : for months from July 2017 to November 2018 extended till the 31st December 2018.
3. Extension of Due date for GSTR-1 in case of taxpayers with turnover upto Rs 1.5 crores in previous FY or Current FY
- a. Regular taxpayers :
|Quarter||New Due date|
|July – September 2017||31st October 2018|
|October – December 2017||31st October 2018|
|January – March 2018||31st October 2018|
|April – June 2018||31st October 2018|
|July – September 2018||31st October 2018|
|October – December 2018||31st January 2019|
|January – March 2019||30th April 2019|
- b. Newly migrated taxpayers : For all quarters from July 2017 to September 2018 extended till 31st December 2018.
- c. For flood-affected regions of Kodagu, Mahe and Kerala : Above table of dates remain the same except for quarter July 2018 to September 2018 extended till 15th November 2018
4 Due date of TRAN-1 and TRAN-2 is extended for certain taxpayers who could not complete filing due to tech glitch, to 31st March 2019 and 30th April 2019 respectively.
Due dates for All GST Returns
|Return Form||Particulars||Frequency||Due Date|
|GSTR-1||Details of outward supplies of taxable goods and/or services effected||Monthly||10th of the next month|
|GSTR-2||Details of inward supplies of taxable goods and/or services effected claiming input tax credit.||Monthly||15th of the next month|
|GSTR-3||Monthly return on the basis of finalization of details of outward supplies and inward supplies along with the payment of amount of tax.||Monthly||20th of the next month|
|GSTR-3B||Simple return for Jul 2017- Mar 2018||Monthly||20th of the next month|
|GSTR-4||Return for compounding taxable person||Quarterly||18th of the month succeeding quarter|
|GSTR-5||Return for Non-Resident foreign taxable person||Monthly||20th of the next month|
|GSTR-6||Return for Input Service Distributor||Monthly||13th of the next month|
|GSTR-7||Return for authorities deducting tax at source.||Monthly||10th of the next month|
|GSTR-8||Details of supplies effected through e-commerce operator and the amount of tax collected||Monthly||10th of the next month|
|GSTR-9||Annual Return||Annually||31st December of next financial year|
|GSTR-9A||Annual Return||Monthly||31st December of next financial year|
|GSTR-10||Final Return||Once. When registration is cancelled or surrendered||Within three months of the date of cancellation or date of cancellation order, whichever is later.|
|GSTR-11||Details of inward supplies to be furnished by a person having UIN and claiming refund||Monthly||28th of the month following the month for which statement is filed|
* Subject to change by Notifications/ Orders
Return filing is mandatory under GST. Even if there is no transaction, you must file a Nil return.
- You cannot file a return if you don’t file previous month/quarter’s return.
- Hence, late filing of GST return will have a cascading effect leading to heavy fines and penalty.
Late fee & Interest
- Interest is 18% per annum. It has to be calculated by the tax payer on the amount of outstanding tax to be paid. Time period will be from the next day of filing to the date of payment.
- As per GST Act Late fee is Rs. 100 per day per Act. So it is 100 under CGST & 100 under SGST. Total will be Rs. 200/day. Maximum is Rs. 5,000. There is no late fee on IGST.
- Late fees for GSTR-3B of July, Aug and Sept waived. Any late fees paid for these months will be credited back to Electronic Cash Ledger under ‘Tax’ and can be utilized to make GST payments.
- As per latest update, late fees for GSTR-5A earlier reduced stands withdrawn. So, the Late fee of Rs 200 per day (or Rs. 100 per day in case of NIL return filing) shall apply with effect from 7th March 2018.
- Late Fee for filing GSTR-1, GSTR-3B, GSTR-4, GSTR-5 & GSTR-6 after the due date has been reduced to Rs. 50 per day of delay.
- Late fee for filing NIL returns have been reduced to Rs. 20 per day of delay for taxpayers(i.e having Nil tax liability for the month) for GSTR-1, GSTR-3B and GSTR-4 & GSTR-5.